Saturday, March 14, 2009

Song: Camino Del Sol

One of my favourites, if not my favourite, Antena song is a gorgeous electro-bossa track called Camino Del Sol (Way of the Sun). It's one of the smoothest pieces they ever recorded, with sparse atmospheric electronics. I've always wanted to learn the lyrics, but my French is poor and I could only work out small parts of it. Numerous Internet searches have proved futile, it seems to be the only thing NOT on the Internet, and I'd all but given up, until I had a chance Internet encounter with the singer herself, Isabelle Antena (nee Powaga).

I have a scan of the Camino Del Sol record on our Flickr page and I was contacted by Isabelle herself just to say thanks for the picture (which I must add here that this is like for some people being contacted by Cher, I was amazed and thrilled to hear from her). She told me her scan of the cover wasn't very good and she's been using the one I had . A few emails of gracious and heartfelt fandom from yours truly and I asked her if she would have the lyrics to Camino Del Sol handy, and they were kindly and radpidly provided, thus ending my long search for them.

As they don't seem to exist anywhere on the Internet I'm adding them here for anyone else who might be looking for them (very literal English translation in brackets - corrections welcome). Thanks Isabelle!

Camino del sol (Way of the Sun)
Camino del sol
Hotel
Palm beach
Air florida

Station balnéaire (seaside resort)
Climat tropical (tropical climate)
décalage horaire (jetlag)
ambiance amicale (friendly)

Elle: cadre agréable, (Her: pleasant)
sauna , bains de vapeurs, (sauna, steam bath)
chambre confortable (comfortable room)
et TV couleurs (and colour TV)

Lui: Tennis, Bowling, (Him: Tennis, Bowling)
piscine olympique, (Olympic swimming pool)
jaguar au parking (the Jaguar terminal-?)
pour soirées typiques. (for typical evenings)

Soirée animée (Lively evening)
Et slows langoureux (and slow languorous)
Regards amoureux (regards lovers)
Jeux organisés (games held)

Matin difficile (Difficult morning)
Et vapeur d'alcool (andf steam alcohol)
Pour vacances tranquilles (for holiday)
Camino del sol (the way of the Sun)

Camino del sol
Hotel
Palm beach
Air florida

Camino del sol
Hotel
Palm beach
Air florida

10 comments:

Mistress Bel said...

Hello Wayne

Love the encounter with chanteuse, very exciting and somewhat mcfarlandian.

In regard to the lyrics i think regards amoreux is loving looks, vapeur d'alcool:alcohol fumes, ambiance amicale : friendly atmosphere, cadre agreable : pleasant settings/surroundings, vacances tranquilles:peaceful holidays

Wayne said...

Thank you for your help Mistress Bel, you are truly the Intercontinental That Girl.

Macfarlandian - brilliant term.

Rajesh said...

thanks for the lyrics. it's funny that i had the hardest time with the refrain which is all in English!

Miguel Nuno said...

Thanks Wayne for sharing the Lyrics. Never get tired of listen this song. I have also wonder where was taken the front picture of the LP. It evokes some perfect spot to chill in a balearic vacation. I have the picture on the wall of my bedroom and my one year son is always point to the picture and smiling as if he was saying "take me there please".
Just for curiosity Is it possible to ask Isabel if she knows were is that place?
Thanks again
Greetings from Lisbon
MiguelNuno

Wayne said...

Hi Miguel, Thanks for the comment. Your son has good taste too. We all want to go there - also I wish I owned all the great furniture in the photo.

Isabelle's Flickr account can be found here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/74279878@N00/ Perhaps you might like to ask her your question directly?

Groucho said...

Hi Wayne,

My interpretation of you lyrics translation:

Cadre agréable - pleasant surroundings
jaggar au parking - can i be Jaguar (the car) in the parking lot?
soirées typiques - theme evenings in clubs or restaurants
slows langoureux - slowly dancing together
Regards amoureux - loving glances

Thanks for the lyrics

Luis (also from Lisbon!)

peeeter said...

Thank you for the lyrics and the added story that complements the experience!
I believe the line "Jaggar au parking" should be "Jaguar au parking" - a classical luxury sports car mark.
Cheers!

Wayne Davidson said...

Thanks Peeeter, I believe you are correct, I've sorted out the spelling! Cheers, Wayne

Wayne Davidson said...

Thanks also Groucho!

kosmikino said...

The most balearic of anthems finally gets decoded!

Fascinating to finally read the lyrics to one of the coolest songs ever conceived by chanteuse or robot.

It must have been a wonderful moment to hear from Isabelle Antena herself and for her to take the time and effort to contact you shows her soul is as beautiful as her music.